- Home >
- Services & Specialties >
- Obstetrics and Gynecology >
- Procedures and Treatments >
- Therapeutic Hysteroscopy
Therapeutic hysteroscopy, or operative hysteroscopy, is a minimally invasive procedure that uses a tiny telescope, called a hysteroscope, to view and treat areas of concern inside the uterus.
The thin, lighted telescope is inserted through the vagina and into the uterus. A camera attached to the end of the hysteroscope transmits the image of your uterus onto a screen, allowing the surgeon to look for fibroids, polyps, and other areas of concern.
Guided by the hysteroscope, very thin surgical instruments are then used to perform procedures that include:
- Treatment of abnormal uterine bleeding
- Removal of fibroids or endometrial polyps
- Removal of leiomyomas
- Removal of adhesions caused by infections or past surgeries
- Removal of lost intrauterine device (IUD)
- Obtaining targeted tissue samples, or biopsies
Therapeutic hysteroscopy provides a safer and more effective alternative to traditional open surgery by eliminating the need for a large incision. Depending on the procedure, it can be performed in the clinic setting or at the hospital. Benefits include faster recovery, less pain, fewer complications, and shorter hospital stays.
When the hysteroscope is used for examination and diagnosis only, not treatment, the procedure is referred to as diagnostic hysteroscopy.
Make an Appointment
To schedule an appointment with a Baylor College of Medicine physician specializing in therapeutic hysteroscopy, call the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology at 832-826-7500.
Hours & Phone Number
- Monday- Friday 8 a.m.- 5 p.m.
- To schedule an appointment,
- call 832.826.7500.
- Visit the Obstetrics and Gynecology website.
- Are you interested in participating in clinical trials? Discuss opportunities with your physician.
This is my first visit to Baylor Clinic and I am very satisfied. I did not have to wait long to see the doctor. During my appointment she took her time, asking me questions. The employee at the front desk was very courteous and friendly.