Advanced and Minimally Invasive Surgery
Baylor Clinic surgeons are renowned for the treatment of disease through state-of-the-art surgical techniques, many developed here at Baylor College of Medicine. Our highly acclaimed Michael E. DeBakey Department of Surgery serves the surgical needs of more than 100,000 patients each year from around the world, through six affiliated hospitals in the Texas Medical Center.
We offer superior surgical outcomes, personalized care, and world-class research and education programs that lead to new treatments and new advancements in our field. Our commitment to surgical, research, and education excellence - and to integrating these critical elements of healthcare - continues to set us apart as we fulfill the promise of personalized medicine, tailoring care to each patient based on their unique biology, behavior, and environment.
Diseases and Conditions Treated
- Abdominal - hernias (inguinal, incisional, hiatal and umbilical) and benign and malignant diseases of the spleen, liver, gall bladder, kidney and pancreas
- Endocrine - benign and malignant tumors of the adrenals, parathyroids, thyroids, and pancreas.
- Gastrointestinal - diseases of the bowel, including ulcerative colitis, Crohn's disease, colorectal cancer, and diverticulitis; esophageal diseases, including Barrett's esophagus, esophageal motility disorders, esophageal reflux, hiatal hernia, achalsia, and cancer; gastric diseases, including ulcers, gastric dysmotility, benign neoplasms and gastric cancer; diseases of the appendix; and benign and malignant diseases of the liver and gallbladder.
- Gynecological - minimally invasive alternatives to hysterectomy, including laparoscopic hysterectomy and myomectomy, hysteroscopy, and endometrial ablation; infertility, including fertility preservation, tubal reconnection and endometriosis; cervical, uterine, and ovarian cancer; abnormal menstrual bleeding, including fibroids; pelvic organ prolapse, including urinary incontinence, uterine and vaginal prolapse, cystoele and rectocele
- Urological - prostate cancer, renal cysts, testicular cancer, bladder dysfunction and cancer
- Nerve - chronic and acute pain syndromes
- Obesity - gastric banding, gastric bypass, sleeve gastrectomy, and revision surgery
Our services include laparoscopic, endoscopic, single incision, and robotics surgery, and tailored healthcare based on personalized medicine for disease prevention and reoccurrence. We offer:
- Bariatric surgery
- Colorectal surgery
- Esophageal surgery
- General surgery
- Liver surgery
- Obstetrical and gynecological surgery
- Urological surgery
Baylor College of Medicine's department of Anesthesiology provides a wide range of outstanding clinical anesthesia services for both the in- and outpatient setting. Working closely with your surgeon, patient services include comprehensive preoperative evaluations, regional and general anesthetics, and postoperative critical care and pain management.
The Advanced and Minimally Invasive Surgeons and Anesthesiologists lead or participate in many BCM Specialty Centers:
Heart patients come from around the world to receive life-saving care from
Baylor Clinic. We offer groundbreaking treatment backed by the renowned faculty
and research of Baylor College of Medicine, and nationally recognized facilities
throughout the Texas Medical Center.
The Michael E. DeBakey Department of Surgery Clinic offers a comprehensive
and multidisciplinary approach that provides a wide range of clinical and
surgical services, including diagnosis and treatment of liver disease, pancreatic
disease, breast cancer, vascular disease, heart disease and varicose veins.
Surgeons providing liver surgery, colorectal surgery, esophageal surgery and bariatric surgery are:
The Michael E. DeBakey Department of Surgery at Baylor College of Medicine
is known for excellence in patient care, research and education. With over
200 faculty, we specialize in the surgical treatment of disease using state-of-the-art
techniques, many developed here at Baylor College of Medicine.
The Minimally Invasive Surgery Center at Baylor College of Medicine and St. Luke's Episcopal Hospital is a partnership between two world-renowned institutions that offers a comprehensive and multidisciplinary approach with highly trained physicians and state-of-the-art technology.
The Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology at Baylor College of Medicine
is dedicated to developing and practicing excellence in women's health, including
the care of women requiring general gynecologic care and surgery.
The department of Pediatrics at Baylor College of Medicine offers comprehensive
routine and preventative health care for children from birth to 18 years
of age. Our primarily affiliation is with Texas Children's Hospital.
The division of Plastic Surgery is part of the Michael E. DeBakey Department
of Surgery at Baylor College of Medicine, renowned for state-of-the-art surgical
techniques performed by highly trained, specialized surgeons.
The physicians in the Scott Department of Urology at Baylor College of Medicine
are skilled surgeons, with unique expertise in reconstructive surgery and
special training in minimally invasive and laparoscopic surgical techniques.
Our surgeons rank among a handful of physicians in the nation who have performed
hundreds of minimally invasive surgical procedures such as robotic prostatectomy.
Other Advanced and Minimally Invasive Services at Baylor College of Medicine
The division of Cardiothoracic Surgery at Baylor College of Medicine is
internationally recognized for the surgical treatment of vascular and cardiac
disease, including aortic, coronary and valvular disease, using a comprehensive,
state-of-the-art, multidisciplinary approach.
The department of Orthopedic Surgery at Baylor College of Medicine offers
expert, comprehensive care for adult and pediatric patients with orthopedic
injuries and illnesses, including sports medicine, spine, trauma, hand and
upper extremity, foot and ankle, oncology and total joint replacement care.
The Vascular Surgery and Endovascular Therapy Center at Baylor College of
Medicine is a partnership of highly acclaimed institutions focused on treating
vascular disease, which affects the body's circulation and is a major cause
of heart disease. We specialize in minimally invasive therapy and stent graft
treatment for aortic aneurysm and vascular disease.