BCM Orthopedic Surgery
Orthopedic Imaging Services
At Baylor College of Medicine, our goal is to make your diagnostic process as easy as possible while providing expert evaluation of your orthopedic injury or illness. Imaging services are offered as part of your examination with your physician.
We offer a variety of diagnostic services and tests in-house, with minimal waiting, a highly trained staff, and exceptional service for patients and physicians. Imaging services are entirely digital, allowing images to be immediately available for review during your visit. Your images will be read by your orthopedic surgeon who will document the results in your medical record.
To help expedite your visit, we offer several forms online so you can complete them at home at your convenience. Please remember to bring them with you the day of your visit.
- Imaging Equipment
- CT scan (64 slice)
- This state-of-the-art scanner uses an unmatched technology platform that offers a wide range of routine and advanced procedures, delivers clear images in less time, and can accommodate patients up to 440 pounds.
- MRI (1.5T)
- Our Intera Achieva 1.5T MR system offers the fastest scan times of any scanner on the market, making it possible to use MR for imaging the whole body as well as specific parts.
- The supercomputing power of the Philips iU22 system enables enhanced diagnostic features of XRES technology. The iU22 also features SonoCT imaging, which displays an image that is a more realistic representation.
- Nuclear Medicine
- Our Siemens Signature E.Cam Nuclear Gamma Camera provides high-performance, large field-of-view HD4 dual detectors, as well as Flash 3D, three-dimensional iterative reconstructive technology. The E-Cam also optimizes image quality for whole body, cardiac and general SPECT studies. The accuracy and ease of thyroid assessment is exceptional with our Capintec Caputs 3000 Thyroid Uptake and Well System.
- The Siemens AXIOM Aristos FX is a completely digital system, allowing for multi-purpose radiography. This technology is designed to accommodate the most patients, in the least amount of time, with minimal repeats.
- Bone Density
- Our Hologic Discovery QDR Series bone densitometer combines the proven clinical value of bone mineral density measurement with high-definition vertebral assessment. This allows point-of-care assessment of low bone mineral density and the presence of vertebral fracture - all with one rapid, low-dose scan.
- Phlebotomy Services
- Onsite services are provided by Clinical Pathology Laboratories, Inc., the largest laboratory directed by pathologists and the Southwest's largest, full-service independent reference laboratory.
Glossary of Orthopedic Diagnostic Tests
The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons offers information on some of the mostly frequently used diagnostic tests for orthopedic injuries and illnesses, including:
- Blood Tests
- Bone Scan
- Computed Tomography (CT Scan)
- Doppler Ultrasound
- Dual-Photon Absorptiometry
- Dual-Energy X-ray Absorptiometry
- Flexibility Tests
- Intrathecal Contrast Enhanced CT Scan
- Joint Aspiration and Analysis
- Laboratory Studies
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
- Muscle Tests
- Nerve Conduction Study (NCS)
- Physical Examination
- Quantitative Computed Tomography
- Radiographs (X-rays)
- Range of Motion Testing
- Single Photon Absorptiometry
- Stress Tests